Active Senior

Wednesday, November 4, 2015

Empowered Aging

Our mission is to empower older adults to proactively embrace and use assistive devices and products that support an active and independent lifestyle. And we cannot embrace the kind of products offered by Savvy Senior Products unless we first embrace our bodies.

Till now and still now we’ve focused mainly on the “outside” of our bodies, our appearance. This is why we dress the way we do and fuss over that extra 5 pounds. However, if we’ve only lately acknowledged that we do get older and, in our youth-obsessed culture, lose the “looks” we once had, it’s easy to look negatively at this body that not only looks different but is beginning to show signs of mortality.

We are mortal, something our culture frequently doesn’t face, but we are forced to as we age. As miraculous as our bodies are, they do begin to change. We may have more difficulty climbing stairs, driving, enjoying recreational activities, even bathing and dressing. These changes are inevitable and will eventually happen to us all.   

A Strategy for Aging Well


Well, this is certainly depressing, you might say. Why do I need to read this? I’m hoping it’s because if we “get real,” that is, come face to face with this reality of our changing bodies, we can begin to forge a strategy for living this part of our lives that is honest and freeing, even empowering. We can:

  • Approach our bodies with knowledge, gratitude and compassion.
  • Take responsibility for the aspects of our health we can control. Stay functionally fit.
  • Proactively use assistive devices and products that keep us “in the game.” No more denial: “I don’t need to use…” We are living longer and need to stay active and independent through these extra years we have been given.


Walking Tall in Our 70s


And to end on a less serious note: we can also correct our posture. When I was an adolescent, my parents constantly nagged me to “stand up straight.” Tall, with an adolescent’s insecurities, I shrugged off their correction and slunk around, pretending to be invisible.

Now I finally “get” it! Poor posture is even more common with older adults. Our heads may droop and our shoulders round. Over time this poor posture causes our muscles to weaken or tighten, negatively affecting our gait and our balance. A quick look at a physical therapy text showed me how to assess my current posture and how to then improve it. I can’t believe it…but here I am, in my early 70s, finally standing up straight. 

It’s part of my new sense of empowerment. I am here. And I’m glad to be here.  Please join me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment